Photo via: pamelagroppe.com
You may also be interested in 🙂
- I recently saw a fabulous vintage suitcase do-over. It had bold stripes painted across it and I loved it! The Lily Pad Cottage It got me thinking and googling…. googling and thinking. And heres another one I drooled over from The Concrete Cottage. The Concrete Cottage Dontcha just love those colors? And heres another one. Oakview Cottage Wow. So, my wheels started turning and my thoughts went to a small vintage suitcase I had just picked up at Goodwill for $1.99. Its not even a suitcase, really. I think it was actually an album case. I found a sticker inside it that looks like it might have come from a music store. I guess Ill never know for sure. All I do know is that its definitely old. I figured it could stand a bit of work. So I literally scrubbed it clean and decided on a color and pattern for the paint. My original idea was to recreate a grainsack pattern, but that idea went downhill pretty fast when I realized that the width of the stripes would have to be fairly substantial in order for it to be proportioned correctly on the case. But fat stripes wouldnt really look like a grainsack, now would it? So I compromised. I used the paint color I had originally planned to use, but I made the stripes fatter than you would find on a grainsack. I left that paint job for another day (and a textile of some sort, like a pillow). Out came the acrylic paint (49 cents at Hobby Lobby), masking tape ($1.00 a roll at Dollar Tree), painters tape (already had) and a small paint roller (two for $1.00) that I got from Dollar Tree. I taped the stripes off at 2, 1 and 1/2 inch respectively, with 3/4 of an inch between each stripe. I marked the stripes off with masking tape and then added some painters tape to the sides of that so there would be some extra room on each side of the stripe for the roller. I just placed the tape in one continuous line all the way around the case. Here it is after I painted the first stripe but before I peeled off the tape. And here it is finished. I wasnt thrilled with the lack of crispness (there was some bleeding) but hey, I think it all adds to the vintage charm! And I think it was a nice trial of sorts for me. In other words, vintage suitcases, look out! I think it would be fun to paint the stripes in two complimentary colors. And theres always that good old standby – white! I also wrapped the handle in jute since it was looking a bit too new (once I scrubbed it clean!) if you know what I mean. I think it added just the right touch. And I can always take it off if I change my mind. And now I get to sit back and admire my handiwork. And decide how to take advantage of its other benefit — hidden storage! Im an official vintage suitcase addict now. You can see my madness on my VINTAGE SUITCASE PINTEREST PAGE! Kathleen Ill be linking up here: OPC The Better Half 6th Annual Before and After Contest Cedar Hill Ranch ~ The Scoop Uncommon Designs~ Monday Funday Knick of Time~ Knick of Time Tuesday Homemaker on a Dime~Creative Bloggers Linky Party Sharon & Co. Be Inspired Hope Studios Tutorial Tuesday Not Just a Housewife Show Me What Ya Got Ivy and Elephants Whats It Wednesday Funky Polkadot Giraffe Too Cute Tuesday Someday Crafts Whatever Goes Wednesday No Minimalist Here The Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday
- How to paint pretty pink roses one stroke at a time. Easy to paint on just about any surface, paint these roses with other flowers or alone. Use acrylic paints and simple flat brushes to paint all shapes and sizes of roses.
- How to Paint Lavender, easy painting lesson that even beginners can do. Enjoy the lavender tutorial one stroke at a time. Painted in acrylics.
- Mellow Yellow Rolled Paper Roses | These DIY paper roses are easy to make and fun to give as gifts!
- How to sew a beautiful rolled hem on your machine with this specialty foot. Using the special rolled hem foot takes care of everything in a single pass – quick, easy and oh-so pretty. A basic rolled hem is perfect for napkins. Also works great on things like a circle skirt where you need a really narrow hem. Its all covered in this tutorial and tips at The Sewing Loft. Read more here…
- I love Squarespace for so many reasons, I could and probably will write a blog post on it one day. While WordPress has some great plugins and themes, I kind of wanted to keep things minimal with this blog, so I went with Squarespace. And although Squarespace is great for keeping things simple its always good to have a blog that doesnt look like everyone else who uses Squarespace. Below Ill show you how I took a meh template and made it unique.
- The end of school year is approaching! Tell your teacher thank you with this easy teacher appreciation gift and free printable gift tag featuring fun “totally dig” sayings. Great idea for teacher appreciation week or end of year teacher gifts. DIY Teacher Gifts, Simple Teacher Appreciation Gift, Teacher Appreciation Gift Ideas.
- There is nothing like a beautiful Boho Chic Beaded Wrap Bracelet to complete a Bohemian-style outfit. Wrap bracelets are a stylish staple to dress up your everyday attire, and this easy-to-follow pattern is one of the best. This tutorial uses a mix of lovely blue beads, so you can clear out your bead stash while creating a DIY beaded bracelet you will adore. Even if your style is more traditional than Bohemian, you will love wearing these beautiful shades of blue on your wrist. The Boho Chic …
- This DIY no sew curtains tutorial will show you how to make quick and easy curtains in one afternoon with a few simple materials and with no sewing! The step-by-step instructions will even show you how to add a custom touch with a simple border! www.blessherheartyall.com
- In this Instructable, Ill show you how to build an awesome end grain cutting board from scrap wood! These turned out amazing, and they would make some awesome last minute gifts. Make sure not to miss the video above for even more details!
- Labradorite Necklace, Bead Embroidery Necklace, Gift for Mothers Day, Gold Bronze Turquoise, Gift for Her, Ammonite Cabochon The perfect bead embroidered necklace for you, if you want to add a special sparkle to your outfit. This unique beaded necklace is a great gift for her or for your mom, if you want to make her happy. All of my jewels is unique and handmade, prepared with meticulous care and with love and passion. This bead embroidered necklace is an OOAK piece, because the labradorite cabochon and the ammonite cabochon are unique with these forms, colors and shades. I stitched one bead or two beads at a time. Materials: labradorite cabochon, ammonite cabochon, high quality Japanese and Czech seed beads, a Swarovski crystal, Czech crystals, freshwater pearls, a tiger eye round, Czech faceted beads, Japanese cube, drop and bugle beads, bead caps, clasp, Ultrasuede for backing. Measurements of this seed bead necklace: The pendant is ca. 6 cm (2.36 inches) long. The beaded chains are 23.5 cm (9.25 inches) long on each side. The widest part is 3.4 cm (1.34 inches). More beaded jewels you find on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Tulip-Design-by-Angie/174667926048684?ref=hl My jewels on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/redtulipangie/red-tulip-design-on-etsy/ My beautiful Czech beads, gemstones and soutache braids on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedTulipBeads Back to my shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RedTulipDesign Thank you for visiting my shop! With love, Angie Mézes
- Turn a plain pair of leggings into exciting statement legwear with this unbelievably easy slash and weave technique! Ive seen this method used on a lot of T-shirts, but when I saw it recently on a pair of leggings I thought it looked so good that I decided I had to try it out. It isnt technically a braid, its more like a crochet stitch, but either way, I was honestly shocked at how easy it was and how good it looked. It has exactly the kind of biomechanical aesthetic I love, like stylized spinal column or snake skin made of cloth. I will now have to restrain myself from attacking all my clothes with scissors, and giving them little spines!All you really need to create this look is leggings and scissors, but a few other things help, and there are a lot of design options to play with. In …