Photo via: notjustpaperandpaint.com
You may also be interested in 🙂
- I recently saw a fabulous vintage suitcase do-over. It had bold stripes painted across it and I loved it! The Lily Pad Cottage It got me thinking and googling…. googling and thinking. And heres another one I drooled over from The Concrete Cottage. The Concrete Cottage Dontcha just love those colors? And heres another one. Oakview Cottage Wow. So, my wheels started turning and my thoughts went to a small vintage suitcase I had just picked up at Goodwill for $1.99. Its not even a suitcase, really. I think it was actually an album case. I found a sticker inside it that looks like it might have come from a music store. I guess Ill never know for sure. All I do know is that its definitely old. I figured it could stand a bit of work. So I literally scrubbed it clean and decided on a color and pattern for the paint. My original idea was to recreate a grainsack pattern, but that idea went downhill pretty fast when I realized that the width of the stripes would have to be fairly substantial in order for it to be proportioned correctly on the case. But fat stripes wouldnt really look like a grainsack, now would it? So I compromised. I used the paint color I had originally planned to use, but I made the stripes fatter than you would find on a grainsack. I left that paint job for another day (and a textile of some sort, like a pillow). Out came the acrylic paint (49 cents at Hobby Lobby), masking tape ($1.00 a roll at Dollar Tree), painters tape (already had) and a small paint roller (two for $1.00) that I got from Dollar Tree. I taped the stripes off at 2, 1 and 1/2 inch respectively, with 3/4 of an inch between each stripe. I marked the stripes off with masking tape and then added some painters tape to the sides of that so there would be some extra room on each side of the stripe for the roller. I just placed the tape in one continuous line all the way around the case. Here it is after I painted the first stripe but before I peeled off the tape. And here it is finished. I wasnt thrilled with the lack of crispness (there was some bleeding) but hey, I think it all adds to the vintage charm! And I think it was a nice trial of sorts for me. In other words, vintage suitcases, look out! I think it would be fun to paint the stripes in two complimentary colors. And theres always that good old standby – white! I also wrapped the handle in jute since it was looking a bit too new (once I scrubbed it clean!) if you know what I mean. I think it added just the right touch. And I can always take it off if I change my mind. And now I get to sit back and admire my handiwork. And decide how to take advantage of its other benefit — hidden storage! Im an official vintage suitcase addict now. You can see my madness on my VINTAGE SUITCASE PINTEREST PAGE! Kathleen Ill be linking up here: OPC The Better Half 6th Annual Before and After Contest Cedar Hill Ranch ~ The Scoop Uncommon Designs~ Monday Funday Knick of Time~ Knick of Time Tuesday Homemaker on a Dime~Creative Bloggers Linky Party Sharon & Co. Be Inspired Hope Studios Tutorial Tuesday Not Just a Housewife Show Me What Ya Got Ivy and Elephants Whats It Wednesday Funky Polkadot Giraffe Too Cute Tuesday Someday Crafts Whatever Goes Wednesday No Minimalist Here The Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday
- I’m just going to give it to you straight. This was a tough one folks. “DIY Wood Planked Ceiling” is officially in the books, it’s gorgeous beyond my wildest dreams, but it was a big job. I’m not talking about buying the wood, staining the wood, or even figuring out where to put what piece…. Read More »
- Millennial pink, dusty rose, Tumblr pink – you may have heard of these names or you may not even know this shade of pink had a specific title, but I’m willing to bet you’ve seen it everywhere. From fashion to home decor, this pink spectrum has colored the world with its sanguin paintbrush and stolen …
- image via Okay, this is awesome! As you may notice, some of the materials that the Silhouette and Cricut can cut, do not have pre-made settings and it can be SUCH a pain to try to cut new materials that do not have a setting already on the software or on your machine. This can be soooo annoying! I was so excited to see that Expressions Vinyl made this little cheat sheet chart. THANK YOU Expressions Vinyl for saving me time and helping me to not waste my materials doing the whole “trial and error” nonsense when I am using something new! Pin this people! LOL! You’ll be happy you did! btw – I am momma hear me roar experimented with the Silhouette and freezer paper and found that the “vellum” settings on the Silhouette work really well. Just a little FYI while we’re on the subject! Freezer paper: Speed 3, Thickness 14, Blue Cap I may have to print this up and keep it in my Silhouette drawer! I love a good cheat sheet!
- These 10 Cleaning Hacks that every girl should know are THE BEST! Im so glad I found this AWESOME POST! Ive already gotten a stain out of my favorite dress that I NEVER thought would come out! So happy I found this! Pinning!
- Need a Valentines Day hair tutorial? Try this hair hack and youll be good to go in 10 minutes. So easy, literally anyone can do it!
- Organizing is great. I mean, without it you have those episodes of never being able to find what you need or not knowing where to put things when you buy them. While there are tons of products that you can buy that are designed to help you to get your home organized, we like the DIY…
- Follow http://ashandcrafts.com/paper-flower-backdrop-flower-2/ Hello everyone! I was looking back on my previous posts (which is not a lot, since I just started heh) and noticed that my photos were not very good, but I’m going to try my best to improve! So this post will have better (I hope!) images for you. Above is my growing … Read more…
- How to remover permanent marker. Im sure I will be glad I pinned this some day. Tips on how to remove from skin to floors.
- Pinning but not looking (yet!) Click the button and it takes you to random craft tutorials. Dangerous.
- 1. Budget Touch If you are a stay at home mom that has a limited income, then staying in your budget is important. This handy app keeps track of all of your spending so you never have to remember just where all your money is going. This eliminates a paper budget, and keeps everything organized in “envelopes” …
- P.S.- LOVE IS IN THE AIR! Whether you heart St.Valentine’s Day or simply steer clear of it, we should always remember to love ourselves day in and day out, (Hallmark holiday aside). I will trade a box ‘o chocolates for jewelry any day of the week, and I’m sure most of you would too! Here is my DIY love life advice: Don’t wait around for your crush to come through with bijoux…. P.S.- MAKE IT YOURSELF! Follow in the footsteps of leading sweethearts Audrey Hepburn a